Skip to main content

2016 Beauty Favourites

Hello!

I thought I would compile a little collection of the beauty things that I haven't mentioned on here at all this year but I have become absolutely addicted to throughout the year (although most of these are from rather recently, particularly as I received the M&S Beauty Advent Calendar which was fantastic value for money. 
I apologise for the poor picture quality - I always end up taking pictures in the dark because I'm clever 

Collab Dry Shampoo - despite the world's love affair with Batiste, I have never really liked it and its white, powdery mess; I am a fan of the Bed Head dry shampoo but at around £11 a can, it's a pricey affair. However, this year, I discovered this wonderful product that actually works and never builds up in your hair - plus, I buy it for around £1.99. I might do a similar post but for hair care in the New Year so keep an eye out for that. 

Formula Beauty (M&S) Ultimate Sleep Cream - this was a beauty advent calendar discovery that did lead to the immediate purchase of the full size tub (quite frankly, RIP my bank account thanks to post - Christmas shopping). Although I do use face cream, never has one made such a noticeable different so quickly. Rather than leave this to absorb, you put this on before you go to bed and then wash it off in the morning. It's quite difficult to describe how this has changed my skin but it looks a lot smoother and clearer - even though it's not particularly getting rid of any blemishes, it does appear to reduce any marking and redness, making them look a lot less noticeable. Plus, it isn't just me who is in awe of this product, another of my friends had the same results with this. I think it might actually be for anti - aging but quite frankly, if I start at 17, by the time I'm 60 I'll look 14 (I'm sure that's how it works...) 

Nivea Lip Butter - there is a chance I've mentioned this before in a video but this is hands down the best lip balm I've tried for overnight use. One fault I will point out is that it does leave your lips looking white once applied but I always apply this before bed and then in the morning it has soaked in. Before using this, I always had dry skin on my lips which was always so frustrating but since I've started omitting petroleum based lip products, I haven't had the issue.

MAC Fix+ - I haven't had this for too long, it was a Christmas present but I have used it before, most prominently on prom night when the only appointment left for make up was 12:30 and prom didn't start until 7 (but it kept my make up on until prom finished at midnight!). However, this isn't why I like it as much as I do. Instead, I find this fantastic for a) spraying on brushes before using glittery eyeshadow to ensure the glitter is in all of its majestic glory on my eyelids and b) if I spray this over sort of meh, slightly cakey make up, it magically makes it better. I don't know why. It just does. 

Charlotte Tilbury Dolce Vita palette - this was pricey but I haven't many  eye make up looks since I bought it in October without it. This palette is stunning and so easy to make it look good too; usually I use everything other than the gold glitter for a day look (it is just pure glitter, especially with Fix+) but then I tend to just slap some of that on too for good measure. Everything blends so easily and, although I hate to say it, it really is worth the money and I don't have any eyeshadows on par with this. 

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Palette and Tattoo Liner  - when I was in Spain this summer, I was thrilled to see a Sephora in the nearest city, a magical shop that the UK is lacking of. I made a bee line towards the Kat Von D counter  (I did have to make two trips to the shop in order to consider what I wanted to buy) however, after a few hours deliberation I settled on the Tattoo Liner and the Shade and Light palette (although I did have to triple check I had picked up the eye one and not the face one) and I couldn't be happier. The liner is so precise, I can draw an incredibly thin line and flick if I so wish and it is showing no signs of drying up - plus, once it's on, it doesn't budge. The eyeshadow palette has made me love matte shadows and each quad is stunning alone or mixed with others for either subtle, suitable-for-school looks or full, smokey eye looks. As with the CT palette, all are very easy to blend and have fantastic pigmentation. Plus, for the price (Debenhams have recently started selling them for £36) I think it's really good value, it only ends up being £3 per shadow. Plus, the black is the best black eyeshadow I've ever used. 

Too Faced Shadow Insurance - I spent a whole £3 on this after finding it in a TK Maxx bargain section (I know) but it is the best primer I have tried. I haven't had any problems with this clinging to dryness as I have had with the Benefit primers and Urban Decay ones, they completely stop creasing of eye shadow, make the colours considerably more vibrant and prevent wearing. Well worth the £3 investment and I would also pay RRP. 

Too Faced Bulletproof Eyeliner in White Lie - another TK Maxx find, this was a huge £3.99. I have been using this in my waterline, usually with black eyeshadow over the top (I feel black eyeshadow tends to work better than eyeliner) and it doesn't budge. This is a major achievement as anything I usually put in my waterline is gone five minutes later. Plus it's one of those sharpen in the tube thingy-ma-jigs and its very smooth and comfortable rather than dragging across your skin.

Rosie for Autograph Lip Crayon in Supermodel Smile - another M&S advent calendar wonder. I hadn't tried any of the new make up by Rosie Huntington -Whiteley so this was a pleasant surprise. The staying power of this isn't brilliant, that's the only flaw. However, the colour of this is my perfect nude and it works with anything and feels comfortable to wear, that's about it. 

Avon Clearskin Blemish Mark Treatment - although I often have periods of clear skin, one thing I did have a lot of was marks from where I had had acne in the past. This roll on works very quickly to get rid of any blemish marks and because of the ingredients in it, helps to get rid of any spots that are still present. I don't tend to use it as a roll on so I don't spread anything on it so instead I squeeze some of the liquid on to a cotton wool pad and then apply it before I go to bed; it has made a huge difference and I would definitely recommend it. 

Last but not least:
Estee Lauder Modern Muse - this has been my go - to 2016 perfume (this is my second bottle). I'm terrible at describing scents but apparently this is
          "Exotic Mandarin, Honeysuckle nectar, dewy petals, jasmine sambac, amber wood, fresh lily, patchouli coeur, patchouli crist,                   china absolute" - Boots 

A lot of perfumes give me a headache and this doesn't so that's an instant win. I feel like this is a perfume that a lot of people would wear, young and old. I'm sure I'll continue to wear this in to 2017 but I did receive a couple of perfumes for Christmas so we'll have to see (although I always have  at least 4 perfumes on the go at once, I'm far too indecisive for anything else). On another note - did anyone else wear Avon's Bond Girl perfume when they sold that? That was my first non body spray perfume and will always hold a special place in my heart.

There's a very good chance that this will be it until 2017 so I hope everyone has a fantastic New Year and I'll see you soon!

Elle
xxx

Edit: also, do you prefer having the slightly dodgy mobile view of the blog on your phone or just the desktop view? I've changed it to desktop but let me know on my social media @ellerosetweet (Twitter) or @ellerosepics (Instagram) or via email ellerosevids@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Exciting News!!

A very quick post today but just to announce that I am now part of the That Oxford Girl team!! I'm so excited to be working with Tilly and everyone to improve access to Oxford and share my experiences . My first post will be up soon, so keep an eye out!  https://www.thatoxfordgirl.com/that-oxford-girl-blog If you're new, quick note about me . I'm currently a first year Law student at Worcester College, University of Oxford . Coming from a comprehensive school in the North of England, I am really passionate about increasing access to top UK unis and have been getting involved with lots of different projects since arriving to encourage young people to apply! All the best Elle xx

13 Things I Would Tell My 13 Year Old Self

I was looking at my blog the other day and realised that one of the things I wrote my blog was about was being a teenager. I realised that this needs to be changed soon, I'll be 20 in October and past the point where I can chat about what it feels like to be a teenager . To some extent, I feel I am already past this point, I have left school, am legally an adult, can drive and live alone for the majority of the time . When I began blogging, I think I was 13 . I began this blog in 2015 but prior to it, I had another, the name of which I cannot remember and any trace of which is loooong gone . So, as I leave my teenage years, I thought I would reflect back on what is nearly a decade, in the hope that a 13 year old somewhere will read this and at least take something away from it, no matter how small . Without further ado, here is a list of things I would tell my 13 year old self . 1. stop obsessing about your weight  You've been conscious of your weight from a very early

Somehow I'm Going to Oxford....

This blog post is a little (a lot) on the surreal side. If you follow my on Instagram you may already know this but if not, I thought I'd just add a quick note on here. I am about to officially become a first year Law student at the University of Oxford! I'll probably post a little bit more about this at another time but for now, I thought I'd just briefly highlight the process. Flashback to September 2016. I'd just started A Level and for the past few years, Durham had been at the top of my list for university, followed by Bristol. I had never in my life even considered applying to Oxford or Cambridge. At all. My head of Sixth Form came and spoke to me and said that a student from Cambridge was coming in to school to speak to students about studying at Oxbridge and he thought I should go. I said I really wasn't interested; I didn't know anything about the universities, I was 100% sure I wasn't smart enough, posh enough or just good enough to even co