Skip to main content

What I Got For My 16th Birthday (with pictures)

Hello
So this post was going to be in video format and then hey ho, my throat went funny and when I solved this, my camera battery was flat!
I apologise for the sporadic posts, I have been very very busy recently!
Nonetheless, yesterday I turned 16 (such a big number oh my word!) and thought that I would share with you a few presents that I got (although thanks to online shopping not arriving, some haven't come yet haha). I thought that this amount of presents would make a tolerable post as I got my main present (my iPad, which makes a common appearance in videos) back in August and many people gave me money or vouchers.


Quick disclaimer: I am not bragging about the presents I received, I am overwhelmingly grateful for anybody that bought me a present/ money, gave me a card or said 'happy birthday'. I know many people are not as lucky as my family to be in a comfortable financial state but I'm simply posting this as I love reading/ watching these! 
Any links will take you to a review elsewhere on my blog if I have previously written one for a mentioned product - there will also probably be more information also. 

Let's get started! In general, it can be summed up as: Body Shop, books and Benefit. My friends and family know me too well ;)

The Body Shop 
Above: Japanese Cherry Blossom Perfume, shower gel and body lotion; Vineyard Peach Shower Gel; Smokey Poppy shower gel, scrub, body butter and bath fizzers. 

I love Body Shop so much and my friends and family clearly know! The Smokey Poppy range smells amazing, if you haven't smelt it yet then next time you are near a Body Shop I highly recommend you do and fall in love with it like myself! I am really excited to try the poppy seed scrub, I love the gelee scrubs that the Body Shop make and this looks (and smells) brilliant. 
The Vineyard Peach shower gel smells like, well, peach. I was speaking to my friends and reminiscing on the days of peach Munch Bunch yogurt (yum yum) after I smelt this; the scent is so revitalising and fresh,  think it will be lovely for early morning showers.
Finally, the Japanese Cherry Blossom range. The new packaging of the perfumes is so sweet and dainty, it looks like a designer bottle. This range is perfect for every day and I adore the floral fragrance. 

Books
Above: All the Bright Places, Jennifer Niven, Go Set a Watchman, Harper Lee, Eleanor and Park, Rainbow Rowell and GCSE OCR Gateway Higher Level Biology, Physics and Chemistry Revision Guides, CGP
I. Love. Books. First of all, an explanation for the revision guides, I take triple science and found that my Collins revision guides often had mistakes or missed out vital information, therefore, my biology teacher (who teaches the core science groups physics and chemistry also) recommended these. Not the most exciting but there we go. 
To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite novel and so I am so excited to read Go Set a Watchman. I don't expect it to be as good but a girl can dream and Harper Lee is so talented... 
I have been threatening to read All the Bright Places for a really long time as I've hear many raving reviews and Eleanor and Park was spotted by my friend who decided to buy it for me due to my name being in the title. However, I've also heard some amazing reviews about this novel. 

Benefit 
Above: Porefessional (full size), Hoola (full size), They're Real mascara (full size), They're Real Eyeliner in Beyond Brown (full size), Benetint (deluxe travel size) and the Pucker Up and Party Set (Posiebalm, Benebalm, deluxe travel Benetint and Posietint) 

Anyone who has been a follower of my blog or YouTube channel (ellerosevids) will know how much I adore Benefit. Most of the above I have owned previously or tried, Hoola, They're Real, Benetint and Porefessional are some of my favourite products so was exceedingly happy when I opened these. I have previously reviewed the They're Real Push Up Liner so am looking forward to trying the brown version for an everyday look.
The gift set has been long awaited. Last year, Benefit did a similar set with Lollibalm rather than Posie. However, somewhere between Father Christmas and the tree, it accidentally ended up in the bin and when repurchase was attempted, the elves had run out. Not to worry though! I'm glad I waited as I love Posietint and wear it nearly everyday making this set even better for me, particularly because my pale skin makes any lip colour look very bright.

Cleansers 
(Yeah I'm surprised this is a category too...)

First up, my trusty Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish. This is the regular one that I have been using since I was in dance shows when I was little and had to wear bright blue eye shadow and red lipstick. Nowadays, I use it to remove all my make up and it never fails.

I know, change can be bad but I sneakily tried this last night and oh my, it's good. It's better than good. I refuse to admit that it is better than my beloved Liz Earle but I fear a competition. This is applied to dry skin and dissolves the make up before you've even washed it away with the flannel that it comes with. Plus it smells amazing - green tea, jojoba and eucalyptus.

Other 

Look at them. The beauties. Black heeled boots go with anything and with the chunky heel, these are stylish yet comfortable and are amazing quality.


The Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin has been on my shopping list for ages since I tried the sample that came with my Naked 3 palette. It is the most beautiful Champagne Gold and lovely either on its own or as a base. 

I wasn't going to say who bought what but I thought you should know that my 10 year old brother bought me these earrings  and I wanted to say well done. How cute are they? These will be great for school as they are discrete but super duper cute! One Wish is a lovely brand if you haven't tried it before. He also bought me a new Nomination charm for my bracelet but that was quite difficult to photograph well. Both were lovely though. 

Finally, I was given this handy toilet/ make up bag including a matching shower gel and lotion. I haven't tried this brand before but I love the retro style and the size is perfect for going away! 


Thank you so much for reading and for anyone who bought me presents, look out for new videos and blog posts soon! 

Elle xxx

P.S. My friend Amy and I are creating a video about LGBT rights etc. We would love it if you had any questions or discussion topics for us.  Just some background, we are both year 11s, I am heterosexual and have been friends with Amy, who is in a homosexual relationship for a long time. Equality is a very important issue for both of us. Comment, e-mail (ellerosevids@gmail.com) or speak to me or Amy, if you know us, with suggestions. 
Thank you :) x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Things I Would Tell My 13 Year Old Self

I was looking at my blog the other day and realised that one of the things I wrote my blog was about was being a teenager. I realised that this needs to be changed soon, I'll be 20 in October and past the point where I can chat about what it feels like to be a teenager . To some extent, I feel I am already past this point, I have left school, am legally an adult, can drive and live alone for the majority of the time . When I began blogging, I think I was 13 . I began this blog in 2015 but prior to it, I had another, the name of which I cannot remember and any trace of which is loooong gone . So, as I leave my teenage years, I thought I would reflect back on what is nearly a decade, in the hope that a 13 year old somewhere will read this and at least take something away from it, no matter how small . Without further ado, here is a list of things I would tell my 13 year old self . 1. stop obsessing about your weight  You've been conscious of your weight from a very early

Super Exciting News!!

A very quick post today but just to announce that I am now part of the That Oxford Girl team!! I'm so excited to be working with Tilly and everyone to improve access to Oxford and share my experiences . My first post will be up soon, so keep an eye out!  https://www.thatoxfordgirl.com/that-oxford-girl-blog If you're new, quick note about me . I'm currently a first year Law student at Worcester College, University of Oxford . Coming from a comprehensive school in the North of England, I am really passionate about increasing access to top UK unis and have been getting involved with lots of different projects since arriving to encourage young people to apply! All the best Elle xx

Somehow I'm Going to Oxford....

This blog post is a little (a lot) on the surreal side. If you follow my on Instagram you may already know this but if not, I thought I'd just add a quick note on here. I am about to officially become a first year Law student at the University of Oxford! I'll probably post a little bit more about this at another time but for now, I thought I'd just briefly highlight the process. Flashback to September 2016. I'd just started A Level and for the past few years, Durham had been at the top of my list for university, followed by Bristol. I had never in my life even considered applying to Oxford or Cambridge. At all. My head of Sixth Form came and spoke to me and said that a student from Cambridge was coming in to school to speak to students about studying at Oxbridge and he thought I should go. I said I really wasn't interested; I didn't know anything about the universities, I was 100% sure I wasn't smart enough, posh enough or just good enough to even co