Skip to main content

My Views on Oxford

There have been very few posts on this blog over the past year. Probably the biggest reason for that is being incredibly busy after starting university. Now two terms in to my time studying Law at Oxford, I feel as though I can reflect on the ups and downs since I arrived and give my thoughts on the university as a Northern, state school student.

Quick note: these are my experiences only and may not reflect those of all students 

The work 
I feel as though this is the most frequent question: is it hard? Quite frankly, Oxford wouldn't be able to maintain its prestige if it wasn't hard. But realistically, university in general is hard. Living away from home, making new friends, finding your way around a city whilst juggling work and extra-curricular activities is always going to be difficult.

However, Oxford does take this up a notch. Oxford students generally are not allowed to take on paid employment during term time, with exceptions of working occasionally for the University on open days etc. Before I went, I thought this was an elitist approach. Not everybody can afford to live without a part time job and after spending my teenage years with weekend jobs, I couldn't imagine giving up the freedom of having my own income. Upon arrival, however, I understood the logic behind this. The work load is intense and there is no way (especially in the first term whilst finding my feet) that I would have been able to balance a part time job with my studies. Whilst this seems like a disadvantage, the financial support provided by the uni does help a lot. Accommodation is much cheaper than many universities due to only paying for 24 weeks a year and food is heavily subsidised. Furthermore, bursaries and other forms of financial aid appear to be a priority across all colleges, which means that being unable to work during term time is less of an issue. Plus, the holidays are pretty substantial (the other 28 weeks of the year I work in a cafe at home) and I have been earning money through working for University Admissions and Outreach office at events, which has been a great way to fit earning around my studies.

The learning system at Oxford often confuses students because it is so unique to Oxford and Cambridge. Every subject is different, but as a first year Law student, this is what a typical week has looked like:

Independent study - the vast majority of my time is taken up in this way. Before a tutorial (see below) I am set a reading list and an essay. This means I will spend probably 2-3 days reading articles, legislation, cases and then write an essay. Sometimes this is pretty hard, it means we self teach the content before actually being taught by our tutors. However, I find the level of independent study really rewarding. When I first began reading articles and cases, it would take hours to get through each item on my reading list, meaning some very long days in my first term. However, now I have adjusted to the academic, legal language used, it is much easier. On an average day, I work 9-6.30 in the library, with this increasing near exams. So probably more than most freshers, but not an unmanageable amount.

Tutorials - these happen around twice a week with a tutor and between 1 and 3 students. What happens really depends on the tutor. Some go over the essays submitted, some ignore that and focus on the important parts of the reading list but they always tend to be a combination of tutors asking questions and students gaining clarification. Tutorials are one of my favourite parts of my degree. I love the feeling of walking out and everything seeming clear after a 1.5-2 hour tutorial.

Lectures - I won't say too much about these as they are not compulsory and although I go, most people don't find them quite so useful. Personally I like the change of scenery and enjoy listening to academics who possibly have different views. Lectures tend to last 2 hours and happen most days, although, as I said, due to not being compulsory often a tutorial will overlap or students might only go to lectures on certain subjects.

Diversity 

I really wanted to mention this as it is something that is often raised in conversation when I am working with school visits to increase access. However, this is such a huge area I am slightly worried I won't do it justice so will most likely return to this at a later point. In my opinion, Oxford needs more diversity. Although there is international diversity, which is fantastic as it makes the city so unique, a lot of the time it can feel as though I am surrounded by white, Southern, private school (or grammar school) students.

I don't want to speak on the part of other communities, especially considering the low number of BAME students often reported in the media, as it would be wrong of me to assume the experiences of other students. What I will say is this: the British students at Oxford should represent the population of Britain as a whole. This is the only way that Oxford can truly be successful. Greater diversity in the university ultimately means better research, social progression and therefore more diversity in the influential careers that Oxford students often pursue.

I don't have all the answers to the diversity issues in Oxford. However, I am trying my hardest, signing up to speak to school groups from across the country whilst at home and at uni and working for UNIQ, the state school summer school that benefitted me so much when I was 17. Overall, we need to educate people about Oxford. Before UNIQ, I had no idea that applying could be an option. Whilst at the university, I would love to play some part, however small, in encouraging students from non-traditional backgrounds to apply and I believe the only way to do this is to make what really happens at the university more transparent to the public to prevent the hyperbolic media headlines we have all seen...

Traditions 
I have a love - hate relationship with the traditions of Oxford. As the oldest university in the English speaking world, it's pretty understandable that there would be some things that are bound to raise some eyebrows. Therefore, I thought I would mention some of my favourite, and least favourite, traditions.

Firstly, I hate the common use of Latin. Before I began university, I thought Latin in school had died out. I then met people who had at least studied it until GCSE if not A Level and so understood the phrases in the compulsory Roman law module and in the prayers before formal dinners. I find it isolating, with very few state schools (especially in the North) teaching the subject and I personally cringe a little when visitors are exposed to it. I don't think that the use of Latin is doing anything to aid an inclusive environment.

Sub fusc!! This is a gown, mortar board, shirt, tie/ ribbon and skirt/ trousers which is worn for exams. Personally, I am used to wearing leggings and a hoodie for an exam. However, despite my initial dislike for sub fusc, there is something unifying about everybody wearing the same. Plus, everybody wears carnations to their exams which look really pretty. Nonetheless, I wish I could wear something a little more comfortable to a 3 hour exam... and avoid people giving me funny looks when I am out of college.

Trashing! This is technically banned but an accepted thing. After exiting an exam, students are covered in silly string, glitter, shaving foam etc etc by friends. This tends to end up on the front page of tabloids, supposedly showing privileged students wrecking the streets and spraying champagne everywhere in a city of homelessness. I personally do not view it as such. Oxford examinations are immensely stressful, with the results meaning you may be asked to leave the uni. Trashing is students from all backgrounds having fun and celebrating with their friends before often jumping in to the river to wash themselves off. Yes, it's stupid. But what many fail to recognise is that we're students! We're young and will leave when asked to. On a side note, it's very rarely champagne being sprayed. It's usually the cheapest fizzy alcohol in Tesco... and students play an active role in helping the homeless, unlike the tabloids.

There is lots that I could write about and at some point I will but I'm not convinced many will have made it to the end of this article. Overall, I feel incredibly grateful for the opportunity to attend such a brilliant university and really hope that by being honest about life in Oxford, I can encourage more to apply. I won't lie and say it's easy. But it is absolutely a rewarding experience that should not be seen as for a small group of society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Things I Would Tell My 13 Year Old Self

I was looking at my blog the other day and realised that one of the things I wrote my blog was about was being a teenager. I realised that this needs to be changed soon, I'll be 20 in October and past the point where I can chat about what it feels like to be a teenager . To some extent, I feel I am already past this point, I have left school, am legally an adult, can drive and live alone for the majority of the time . When I began blogging, I think I was 13 . I began this blog in 2015 but prior to it, I had another, the name of which I cannot remember and any trace of which is loooong gone . So, as I leave my teenage years, I thought I would reflect back on what is nearly a decade, in the hope that a 13 year old somewhere will read this and at least take something away from it, no matter how small . Without further ado, here is a list of things I would tell my 13 year old self . 1. stop obsessing about your weight  You've been conscious of your weight from a very early

Super Exciting News!!

A very quick post today but just to announce that I am now part of the That Oxford Girl team!! I'm so excited to be working with Tilly and everyone to improve access to Oxford and share my experiences . My first post will be up soon, so keep an eye out!  https://www.thatoxfordgirl.com/that-oxford-girl-blog If you're new, quick note about me . I'm currently a first year Law student at Worcester College, University of Oxford . Coming from a comprehensive school in the North of England, I am really passionate about increasing access to top UK unis and have been getting involved with lots of different projects since arriving to encourage young people to apply! All the best Elle xx

Somehow I'm Going to Oxford....

This blog post is a little (a lot) on the surreal side. If you follow my on Instagram you may already know this but if not, I thought I'd just add a quick note on here. I am about to officially become a first year Law student at the University of Oxford! I'll probably post a little bit more about this at another time but for now, I thought I'd just briefly highlight the process. Flashback to September 2016. I'd just started A Level and for the past few years, Durham had been at the top of my list for university, followed by Bristol. I had never in my life even considered applying to Oxford or Cambridge. At all. My head of Sixth Form came and spoke to me and said that a student from Cambridge was coming in to school to speak to students about studying at Oxbridge and he thought I should go. I said I really wasn't interested; I didn't know anything about the universities, I was 100% sure I wasn't smart enough, posh enough or just good enough to even co