Skip to main content

Mini Favourites - February

I feel as though this blog has been significantly neglected and shall be for the foreseeable future due to mild chaos in the current period of my life. 
I thought I would write a quick post on some of the things that I have been enjoying this month for you on this lovely Friday night at midnight (spooky) and then wake up at 6:30 in the morning to get to work - yippee! 

Air Wick Wax Melts (Summer Delights) - I don't trust myself with candles in my room on account of my ridiculous clumsiness, therefore the idea of a wax melter is highly appealing. This one in particular has a really subtle scent that still fills the room. In addition (and I accept no responsibility for accidents caused by this) by dipping your finger in to the warm wax, waiting 5 seconds for it to dry and then peeling it off, a certain sense of reminiscence from the primary school art lessons of covering your hands in PVA and peeling it off becomes apparent. 

Garnier Pure Active Micellar Water - yes, I'm a little late on the Micellar water bandwagon but I've not used anything other than cleansers and baby lotion to remove my make up since I was about 12 when I used the horrible, oily eye make up removers that coat your skin in a thin layer of slippery, drying liquid that refuse to get rid of all of your make up. However, I decided to finally pick this up and have been really enjoying using it, it seems to get rid of the vast majority of make up (although still not as much as a cleanser) and is great for quickly removing make up when you really cannot be bothered to trawl through the process of removing make up the long way round. 

L'Oreal Super Liner Ultra Precision - I have been a long time gel eyeliner lover. Nonetheless, it's a little time consuming and if you aren't careful, you can go from a subtle line to Amy Winehouse make up pretty quickly - not to mention it's a pain to remove. However, using this, it's really easy to evenly draw lines across the eyelid as close to the lash line as possible. One of my favourite things about this is the applicator - it is a flexible sponge and therefore is not too stiff but you don't have to worry about bristles sticking out and ruining your hard work.

Avon Nutraeffects Balance Day cream - if you watched one of my recent (ish) videos, you'll know how much I love the Elemis Hydrabalance moisturiser, however, at around £50 for a tube, it's a little pricey. However, Avon recently released a new line of face creams and this was one. This balances any oiliness on your skin to mattify whilst still hydrating; to be honest, there is very little difference between this an the Elemis cream, meaning I'm converted. 

Bourjois Velvet Matte liquid lipstick (Nudist) - this is by far the best matte lip product I have used (I'm very picky with matte lipsticks) this is very creamy and not drying but entirely matte, in fact, I would say that the adjective 'velvet' is a perfect explanation. Whilst on my pale skin tone it is quite a bold, berry toned colour, on others, it is very neutral and nude, however, I believe it would compliment all. In addition, the application (I don't bother with lip liner using this) is very easy, with the shape and size of the doe foot applicator being perfectly designed. I have heard that a new, sheer formula is being released soon which is very exciting (my life is so thrilling, right?) 

Suits - I. AM. HOOKED. Suits follows a high flying law firm in New York and has all sorts of interesting plot lines. After beginning to watch this on friends' requests, I have managed to get through nearly 2 series in around 2/3 weeks. And I get bored very easily when it comes to TV. I would particularly recommend this to John Grisham fans, I found some similarities between the series and his books. 

Alessia Cara - Here - this song has not been out of my head recently! The vocals are silky smooth and from hearing live performances, this girl has serious talent. I would highly recommend checking this out... I also apologise to my classmates who will have heard nothing but me singing this under my breath for the past month. 

Thanks for reading !
Elle xxx
ellerosevids@gmail.com
Instagram: elle_rose99

* Edit: this was originally posted on 12th March 2016 but reposted on 7th June to correct typos*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Super Exciting News!!

A very quick post today but just to announce that I am now part of the That Oxford Girl team!! I'm so excited to be working with Tilly and everyone to improve access to Oxford and share my experiences . My first post will be up soon, so keep an eye out!  https://www.thatoxfordgirl.com/that-oxford-girl-blog If you're new, quick note about me . I'm currently a first year Law student at Worcester College, University of Oxford . Coming from a comprehensive school in the North of England, I am really passionate about increasing access to top UK unis and have been getting involved with lots of different projects since arriving to encourage young people to apply! All the best Elle xx

13 Things I Would Tell My 13 Year Old Self

I was looking at my blog the other day and realised that one of the things I wrote my blog was about was being a teenager. I realised that this needs to be changed soon, I'll be 20 in October and past the point where I can chat about what it feels like to be a teenager . To some extent, I feel I am already past this point, I have left school, am legally an adult, can drive and live alone for the majority of the time . When I began blogging, I think I was 13 . I began this blog in 2015 but prior to it, I had another, the name of which I cannot remember and any trace of which is loooong gone . So, as I leave my teenage years, I thought I would reflect back on what is nearly a decade, in the hope that a 13 year old somewhere will read this and at least take something away from it, no matter how small . Without further ado, here is a list of things I would tell my 13 year old self . 1. stop obsessing about your weight  You've been conscious of your weight from a very early

Somehow I'm Going to Oxford....

This blog post is a little (a lot) on the surreal side. If you follow my on Instagram you may already know this but if not, I thought I'd just add a quick note on here. I am about to officially become a first year Law student at the University of Oxford! I'll probably post a little bit more about this at another time but for now, I thought I'd just briefly highlight the process. Flashback to September 2016. I'd just started A Level and for the past few years, Durham had been at the top of my list for university, followed by Bristol. I had never in my life even considered applying to Oxford or Cambridge. At all. My head of Sixth Form came and spoke to me and said that a student from Cambridge was coming in to school to speak to students about studying at Oxbridge and he thought I should go. I said I really wasn't interested; I didn't know anything about the universities, I was 100% sure I wasn't smart enough, posh enough or just good enough to even co