Skip to main content

Hoola Lite and Dandelion Twinkle

If you're a regular visitor to this blog, you'll know what a fan of Benefit products I am. Recently, Benefit seem to have been expanding their most successful Box o Powders in to their own lines; last year we saw 'Dew the Hoola' and 'Dandelion Dew' amongst others and this year these two have graced the shelves of Benefit counters.

If you haven't noticed, I'm incredibly pale and have to consider this when applying my make up; therefore when I saw these, I couldn't wait to try them - Dandelion Twinkle is a light pink powder highlighter while Hoola Lite is (quite obviously) a lighter, cooler toned version of their popular matte bronzer/contouring powder Hoola. Both of these sounded perfect for paler skin or a minimal makeup look.

I did try to swatch these but as they are both quite light, it was too difficult to give an accurate representation - although this isn't a negative, it just means that they blend well.

Hoola Lite
First up, the bronzer. I have used the original Hoola everyday for a few years now and although I do love it, I have to buff it in with a powder or buffing brush so it isn't too stark a contrast against the rest of my skin. However, this version suited my skin much better. It is slightly ashier and not as orange/ warm toned as the original Hoola powder is. Although the brush provided is very good, I used a Real Techniques contour brush and lightly dusted it under my cheekbones to stop my face from looking too 2D after I'd applied my foundation and powder and it worked well to add definition.

One thing I would say, however, is that I'm not sure I'd buy this if you want a bronzer to actually create a sunkissed look rather than a chiselled one - it does appear to be more of a contour powder and so looks slightly grey when applied elsewhere - nonetheless, if you're looking for a contour powder for fair skin, this is the perfect product.

Quick tip: when doing a natural makeup look, Hoola works well swept across the eyelid or in the crease to add definition. I've not tried that yet with this but I will do so and update.

Dandelion Twinkle
I find Benefit highlights a bit hit and miss. I use High Beam daily but don't think Watts Up! is particularly pigmented. However, I've never tried one of their powder highlighters and was pleasantly surprised. It isn't the Instagram worthy, shining-into-space ABH highlighters that are all over social media. Instead, it's a subtle, wearable powder that is finely milled so doesn't have huge, glittery pieces in but doesn't look like a stripe of glossy paint across your cheek.

Today I wanted a slightly dewier finish but due to the heat needed to ensure everything stayed in place. Consequently, I used this powder to set my High Beam rather than alone, however, I did try it later to highlight alone and it created a pretty, subtle glow. I'm not sure how this would look on other skin tones, my mum has slightly more tanned skin than I do and it didn't stand out quite as much so perhaps it is more suited to fair skin but I would definitely recommend going to test it at a Benefit
counter before ruling it out all together.

Hope you found this useful, both products are £24.50 RRP and are now available in the UK

See you soon,
Elle xxx

@ellerosepics (Instagram)
@ellerosetweet (Twitter)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Careful Who You Bully? No.

I'm hoping this doesn't come off as a frustrated, teenage rant. When I first saw this challenge I began to think about this and more recently, my timeline has been cluttered with these posts. You probably know the sort "Everyone doing it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜© Be careful who you bully challenge πŸ‘€ post 2 pictures of yourself.. 1 old, 1 recent.. Watch how people react to your transformation😷😱😩 Copy this to your pageπŸ˜‡ " .
I was recently tagged and rather than just sit and think about it like a person probably should, I thought that if I can't use this platform to express my concerns with social media, what should I use it for?
Before I get started, I know that the vast majority didn't post these pictures in spite or are in anyway related to what this post is about, I know for a fact my friends have done it to show how they have grown and changed over the years; to be perfectly honest, I think that side of it is sweet. 
What I don't find sweet is this increasingly selectiv…

Gillette Venus Snap Razor

I've only ever used one razor, the Gillette Venus one with the soap bars. I can't remember what that's called but I'm sure you know what I mean. However, whenever I go on holiday, the heads ALWAYS SNAP! Therefore, for my recent trip abroad, I decided to pick up one of the new travel razors by Venus. I am very glad that I did. 
The razor works in the same way as the normal ones with soap bars, you simply wet the razor (or skin) and shave. However, I found that this need far less water than the usual razors and I didn't cut myself once in fortnight I used it (a common occurrence for me) if glided just as well, if not better, than my usual razors and the pink spongy pad at the end made it easy to grip. Despite being shoved around in the luggage, the blue case it came in stayed perfectly intact and I think this would be great for any travelling at all, whether it's just in your handbag or in a suitcase on an aeroplane.  
The only issue I did have with it was that the…

'Lads' Trip to Skeggy - Travel Tips for Teens

This post is a little late in the writing but as summer is coming up and many teenagers will have some free time and be considering a mini break with their friends, I thought this might be useful. During February half term, my friends and I (4 in total) took the train and visited Skegness for 2 nights and three days. Here I thought I would give you a brief outline of our trip and some tips and tricks to make everything run smoothly and not break the bank!
We chose to use Booking.com to compare hotels and ended up choosing the North Parade B&B, we got two twin rooms, both of which had ensuites. After reading the reviews, it seemed to have friendly staff and was in the perfect location: a 10 minute walk from the train station and right on the sea front so easy to access everything, which is something to consider if you don't drive. Another thing I would definitely recommend is calling the hotel you choose to stay in if you're under 18 or even 21, some of the places we looked…